Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Start the day with Recess and LATE to the schoolwork

Yep--the beauty of the homeschool schedule.

I have abandoned my resolve to get things moving early in the day and get them done quickly.

We don't fret if dinner isn't until 7. (When I relaxed this...it removed my anxiety of rushing to get dinner done quickly. We actually enjoy dinner prep right now!)

And we don't fret that school didn't start at 8 or 8:30. (Though Celery is quite suspect when it is 9:23 and he wonders why I am still on my computer and the kids are playing and not learning. Engineers!)

Our schedule looks something like this on paper:

6/6:30ish: Morning prep--which is our morning chores that take us through breakfast and looking like we can leave at a moments notice as our teeth are brushed, hair is combed, and we have legitimate clothes on.

Then Piano and Scripture memorization (no time since it just follows morning prep).

Then at 8:30 it is school or if it is running club we are at that.

At 11:30ish or so it is lunchtime followed by a half hour of reading zone/quiet time.

Then on Mondays and Wednesdays we continue our school work in our larger subjects (like science and social studies).

Tuesdays and Thursdays are our car time going to various lessons and activities. So the in car school work is music appreciation and Spanish during transit and wait times.

Friday afternoons are totally leisure time.


Today is the inauguration and despite my medications, I am highly distracted by the pomp and circumstance. A CNN reporter standing in a crowd at 5:45 this morning said it was like Obama-stock. I privately chuckled because I had thoughts that this was "woodstock-ish" in nature. Then my brother called with a snafu in their "ticketed" plans in the district for which I now have another distraction. That's for another post though.

We will do a little bit of school work and read a wonderful book on the Presidency about a Mouse president that we just love. It is called Woodrow, the White House Mouse written by Peter W. Barnes and Cheryl Shaw Barnes. (There is also an electoral version called Woodrow for President that we read a bit in the fall as well as in the voting line on election day.) We purchased these books at the Museum of American History when we were in Washington, DC a couple of years ago when we happened upon Woodrow himself with the authors as they did a book signing. We have never regretted this purchase and their non-partisan approach and rhyming have been a cute way to learn about our voting system and the events we will be watching today.



But the sum of this post, the girls are rewarded with recess prior to the school day provided they have completed their tasks.

We have mainstreamed our process so well for our family, that I do not get concerned when we are "off schedule".

Well--sometimes I have a bit of anxiety, but that is to be expected from a homeschooling parent.

Now that it is well after 10am, it is time for us to do some of our written work so that we will not miss the swearing in ceremony.

And hopefully--my mother doesn't miss it either. I'll have to post that later when I finally hear from them once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment