Sunday, January 4, 2009

It's January 5th, time to ring the school bell!

Today's goals:



1. Kids will follow Accountable Kids and be Accountable for earning their tickets.

2. Butternut will have a successful phonics lesson today.

3. Rutabaga will complete ALL of her work.

4. I shall not pull my hair out.



Let us see how this day progressed, shall we?

Okay, I began this entry last night and here I return to edit it with the update.

1. So far so good. Butternut has completed her morning and afternoon chores and is on track for being 3 for 3 on tickets and getting a star. Rutabaga tried to lesson the number of cards by subbing in a time chore card (i.e. "morning chores") and had a bit of trouble following along. We will try it another day and see if we have to add in the more specific chores. The whole idea of this system is to get them accountable to do these things on their own.

2. Let's see. Phonics was a brief but good lesson today. I'm surprise she remembered the sounds of all the First Name Letters and the Vowels from Scaredy Cat Phonics. Next we will review her progress on the last name letters and continue on our path to reading. I'm a bit perplexed about her. She is smart as a whip, but seems to very easily get things mixed up. Not like dyslexia. But with her numbers.

She's making common mistakes based on just hearing what I say when identifying numbers (The "teens" being mistaken for the "ties" 13-30, 14-40, 15-50, et cetera.) Oddly when I had her read my lips at the same time, she was spot on in selecting the correct number. I can't tell if this is age appropriate, or a slight little hearing or processing issue beginning to crop up. She is always getting confused on age appropriate requests when it comes to chores and discipline. I will be trying some tricks up my sleeve to test this possible issue and maybe ask a quick question of Alfalfa Sprout's Speech Pathologist today. Odd to say the least, but not a blip on the worry scope just yet.

3. Okay--she completed all the work I actually said she had to. She read some science, recited poetry, read some Bible, did some math, did some spelling, did some Latin. Somewhere around 3:30, I decided we were well rounded enough to let her watch Fetch, Fetch Ruffman. I'm such a softy. I didn't even require a ticket for this privilege.

4. All hair is still in place. I suppose it has been quite a successful day. Though with a 30 minute late start to school, I was half-tempted to yank a hair or too. But not to bad. We began a new routine courtesy of Flylady. If they gave grades and had graduations, I have flunked out about three or four times now. So today we began with our regular schedule and added in the Weekly Home Blessing. By evening it no longer looks flylady blessed, but it is still blessed.

And on a latter note--the Alfalfa Sprout fell asleep on the way to Speech and was not quite up for a game of b-b-b-b-b-b or m-m-m-m-m. So I never got to ask about Butternut. Poor little Sprout. He's getting a cough, too. Looks like a belated Christmas gift is showing up with the Three Kings in our household.

And on a final note--I'm tired. I am not spell checking. This won't be submitted for the Nobel Prize. Any errors, are the fault of the computer. :)

Okay I take that back. The computer operator just noticed that the copy-pasting to MS Word to do spell check was a HUGE waste of time. There is a spell check button on the post page. Evidently my laptop was hiding it from me. Anyone out there believe me?

No comments:

Post a Comment