Friday, January 2, 2009

Cool Whip Fruit Salad: Yummy, Yummy, Ooey, Gooey, Goodness!

Celery and I have been married for 10.5 years now. I met his family about 13.5 years ago. They introduced me to the one single dish that I just cannot resist in their home. That dish is: Fruit Salad (yummy yummy). Please forgive my Wiggles reference. Their song makes no mention of Cool Whip, but it should.
Celery's family is coming for our visit today and we are having a cookout and thus making Fruit Salad is just short of mandatory. Just short because it gives me a great excuse to eat it.

Now--I stink at conveying recipes. I do not have this one written down. If you must have a real recipe, you can Google one. But here is my version. As with all diet ads and get rich quick schemes, results may vary. The recipes I found on-line have different extra things added, so I cannot vouch for their yumminess. You're on your own. :)

*Two 8-ounce containers of cool whip. (1 extra might not be bad to have on hand just in case you want a more "cool whip" consistency)
*One large can of fruit cocktail or 2 small ones. (The very cherry version gets your more cherries or you can add sliced maraschino. Be forewarned that you will end up with red fingertips if you chose the latter.)
*One 16 ounce bag of marshmallows
*1-2 large bananas, quartered and sliced

INSTRUCTIONS:
Open and drain the fruit cocktail COMPLETELY. While it drains, in a large bowl dump in 2 containers of Cool Whip. Fold in the fruit cocktail. Add in the marshmallows. If the fruit and marshmallows aren't swimming in the Cool Whip add in more. You do not want to see a sculpture of whipped fruit. Add in the sliced banana. ENJOY!

You can make this recipe as large as you want, but I'd test it small first. This ensures you like it, and ensures you are familiar with the consistency. I lost track of how much Cool Whip I used, but I used all 6 cans of my fruit cocktail and came just shy of not having any marshmallows left for Celery's marshmallow gun.

This stuff IS addicting. It won't last long. I promise. Just make sure if you serve potato salad, that folks know that this isn't potato salad. It got ignored on a camping trip recently giving the 1 or 2 families who knew about it, front row seats to ooey, gooey goodness while everyone else missed out. Of course this left more for me, so it could have been a plot. Hmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment