Thursday, August 27, 2009

Life in the Homeschool Lane: Week 2, Wednesday

Late start this morning. I have no idea why. But the bed was very comfy.

Today I have decided to time our sections to see where our time wasters are. Right now we are on break.

Religion is supposed to take 20 minutes, it took 35. But that involved retelling a Bible story and by the second sentence, I realized that she was supposed to tell me so that I could write it down. Then tomorrow she will copy it. Ooops! That was part of the delay in this section. In the early grades, it is more important for the student to focus on conveying the information without the added frustration of writing.

Math though--Rutabaga took only 34 minutes! Wahoo!!! And my girl got 100%, 8 out of 8 problems correct for the second day in a row! I am so proud of her. I create single digit equations for her double digit multiplication as her warm up and then she does the double digit problems.

For example: 29X53. I would create 4 problems 2X5, 9X5, 2X3, 9X 3 out of that one problem. Creates a little extra work, but she has to do those problems anyway. Then she is able to focus on the mechanics of a double digit multiplication problem without having to worry about silly multiplication mistakes that she had been making. (She was slipping into 2 + 5 for example for no apparent reason at all.) The other thing she did is write down all her place holding zeros in so that she wouldn't make goofy place value errors. And all this is done on graph paper for easy lining up of numbers.

Memory work is next and then I set her off to her independent work while I work with Butternut. :)

Holy smokes--it is 11:40am and I cannot believe what my wonderful kids have accomplished!
School is nearly done before lunch! And certainly will be done before activities.

Children: Who are you and what have you done with my veggies?

The only thing left is an easy peasy coloring page in a Florida book. Yes--my 4th grader still enjoys coloring. As should everyone. :)

Hit the library real quick on the way home from Alfalfa Sprout's tumbling class and speech therapy. My Julia Child biography came in and I forgot to request it when we were there yesterday. Bon Appetit!

It's 3:35 and I kind of do not know what to do at this very moment. I suppose I will complete some necessary tasks.

By 5pm, music playing has been completed! Let's hope tomorrow is just as lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment